Frequently Asked Questions

Assess each year between January 1 and May 31 to avoid a late assessment penalty of 10%.

You may assess by phone by calling our personal property department at (870) 933-4570. A copy of your assessment will be mailed to you. You may assess on-line by clicking the on-line assessment link on this web site. You may also assess in person by coming to our office located at 511 South Union Room 130 in Jonesboro.

  • Your assessment is based on 20% of the current market value established by the State of Arkansas, then multiplied by the millage rate of the school district that you live in.
  • Your current year assessment will not be billed to you until the following year.

Taxes are not pro-rated. You will pay on the personal property that you have listed as of May 31 each year. Please contact our office upon selling any personal property listed on your assessment.

Examples of items you need to assess include but not limited to: vehicles, boats, campers, motorcycles, jet skis, farm equipment, utility trailers and airplanes.

As of January 1, 1998 a Vehicle Identification Number on a newly licensed vehicle is required.

Any items listed on your assessment after May 31 will not receive a value until January of the following year.

Approximately 75% of your tax dollar goes to the school systems. Your tax statement will show how much of your taxes go to each taxing unit.

The following items are needed to license your vehicle:

  • current assessment
  • tax clearance for previous tax year
  • title, bill of sale, or renewal notice
  • proof of insurance

Unlike personal property, you do not have to assess your real property every year. You do need to let our office know if you have a new addition to your property or new outbuilding, etc.

Each parcel of real property is reviewed every five years due to state-mandated reappraisal.

There is a 5% cap on residential property and a 10% cap of commercial property unless it is newly discovered property.

Examples: new house, out building, addition, etc.

If you own a home in Craighead County and it is your principal place of residence, under Amendment 79 you are eligible for a $350.00 Homestead Credit. If you are 65 or older or disabled according to Social Security Administration your assessment shall freeze with the exception of any new addition or out buildings, etc.

Due to Act 1131, our office is required by the Assessment Coordination Department to verify all sales in the county. A form is mailed to the property owner with each real estate transfer. This form is to be filled out and returned to our office as soon as possible.

The only exemptions allowed are those set out in the Arkansas Constitution as follows:
  • Public property used exclusively for public purposes
  • Churches used as such
  • Cemeteries used exclusively as such
  • School buildings and apparatus
  • Libraries and grounds used exclusively for school purposes
  • Buildings and grounds and materials used exclusively for public charity
Please see the PDF below for more information. If you think your property qualifies for exemption, please fill out the application at the end of the document and fax it to Hannah Towell’s attention at (870) 933-4522 or bring it into the Assessor’s Office Monday through Friday. You will be notified of your exemption status after review of your application.

Exemption Guidelines & Application (pdf)

If you are not receiving the $375 homestead credit on your real estate, please call our office to see if you qualify.

If you are 100% disabled, you are entitled to freeze your homestead (real estate) at its current value. In order to receive this benefit, we require proof of disability from the Social Security Administration. The real estate value freeze is also available to those who are 65 years or older.

We require a copy of your driver’s license or birth certificate for proof of age. These required documents are mandated by our state auditors.